Tuesday 28 October 2008

Year End Championships

Well well well we're finally here, in a year capped with unexpected disasters we finally reach the Year Ending. Highlights of the Top 8 players are definitely Jelena reaching Number 1 without having won a Grand Slam - very Kim Clijsters/Amelie Mauresmo esque! Dinara Safina shocking the world by becoming Number 2, Serena Williams returning to the No.1 for the briefest moment - her Us Open victory is close! Ana Ivanovic winning Roland Garros but then failing to live up to expectations, Elena Dementieva returning to the elite of tennis with very little press coverage here in Britain, Maria Sharapova collapsing after what I thought would be a handover year to her. Svetlana Kuznetsova continuing her run as player you never knew existed but in the Top 8! Finally Venus Williams winning another Wimbledon title! But all have been overshadowed by the shock retirement of Justine Henin!
Anyway who will win in the Final showdown! Jelena will definitely be on everyone's top 3 lists I think whilst Dinara Safina has a strong chance. You can never discount the Williams sisters either. Then we have the ones I doubt will make it. Though Ana won in Geneva I think against the top tier opponents she will crumble away as usual. Svetlana and Vera are likely to be mentioned as possible outsiders but I doubt they will actualy win the title. Whilst Elena I just think will not win! This is what I want the groups to be.
Jelena/Ana/Elena/Venus
Dinara/Serena/Svetlana/Vera

Ok this is because we have the more powerful opponents on one side and the others on the other side! Nope there's actually more to it! I think Jelena will be sure to make the semis so the group will be left with Ana, Elena and Venus. Venus should be able to take on both Ana and Elena as Ana is on bad form and I think Venus has an advantage against Elena. Whilst on the other side I think Serena is more likely to win against Dinara than win against Jelena whilst Kuznetsova and Vera shouldn't be a problem. As Safina has a 7-4 lead over Kuznetsova I think Dinara will continue on a positive note - the only problem may be Vera Zvonareva who Safina has lost to in their past three meetings - all on Hard courts by the way. However I think Svetlana should have the upper hand against Vera so Dinara should be able to get in the semis as 2nd in the group. This means Jelena will face Dinara and Serena will face Venus - I think that will be the best semi as if Serena faces Venus in the finals I think Serena will win for sure but in the semis I don't know! Weird isn't it! Whilst Jelena and Dinara are left to destroy each other! The thing is this draw is actually possible!

As the mens aren't fully developed I cn only say what I wish to happen which is Simon, Del Potro and Roddick making the final 8 - though I think Ferrer may kick out Simon!
Anyway the draw will be
Nadal/Murray/Del Potro/Simon
Federer/Djokovic/Davydenko/Roddick

Nadal/Djokovic/Davydenko/Simon
Federer/Murray/Del Potro/Roddick

Ok yes I'm indecisive on this one. Here's what I'm thinking. Nadal is quite likely going to win his group - if not he'll at least be 2nd therefore his section needs to be easier for Djokovic and Murray to have a definite chance of going through, therefore I've stuck Djokovic to Davydenko and Murray to Del Potro and as I really want Roddick to have a chance to play Federer he is in Federer's group for both. If Nadal is with Murray then i think it would be Nadal and Murray to make the final 4. However it would be difficult to predict who would win out of Federer and Djokovic. However if Djokovic was in Nadal's group I think Djokovic will face Nadal and Murray will face Federer. But this is what I truly want
Djokovic Vs Murray, Nadal Vs. Federer. This would be the most interesting semis I think but I really want Djokovic to get to the final! It's so difficult! We'll just have to see.

No comments: