Sunday 19 October 2008

WTA next week

Well the Linz tournament is lacking some big names but Flavia Pennetta will be here hoping to win a title - however she faces stiff competition.
Ivanovic leads the seeds here but I highly doubt she'll win. If I was to put a safe bet I would go for Vera Zvonareva making the final. Anyway Flavia Pennetta will have Agnes Szavay to look out for in the 1st round. Ok Agnes is not great currently but you still need to look out for her in case she has a sudden burst of greatness! But Dominika Cibulkova is my main worry here. If it comes down to it I think Pennetta will have enough momentum to beat Ivanovic the only thing that would stop her is her stamina as most players who win one tournament find it difficult to get far in the next because of their stamina. Radwanska leads the next draw but she has the threat of Petrova. I doubt she is a title threat after her loss against Pennetta but she is capable of upsetting the crowd. I will be looking at Kaia Kanepi to make a splash but Srebotnik could also be a dark horse for the semis spot though I'd love to see Tanasugarn up there.
Bartoli wll face Sugiyama - hopefully Sugiyama's experience will crush Bartoli whilst former young hopeful Tamira Paszek has basically lost her way and seems to be going down the drain. Alona Bondarenko will also be here. Alize cornet is the seed alongside Zvonareva but Cornet seems to have lost her momentum and with the threat of Jie Zheng I'm not sure if she can win. Hopefully Maria Kirilenko will have enough to beat the winner of that match and have a go at the semifinalist spot.
The tier 3 tournament doesn't seem much weaker than the Tier II, anyway Elena Dementieva head this draw - it seems like ages since she has done so. Anyway Anna Lena Groenefeld could be her biggest challenge in the early stages as I don't see Amelie Mauresmo making an impact. So I'd expect to see Dementieva in the final 4 at least. Hantuchova is one of the most unpredictable female players in the Top 20 so I wouldn't like to guess, but if she's on form her opponent aren't that difficult to tackle. My eyes will be pealed for Sorana Cirstea though. Garrigues and Wozniacki will probably head the most tight section of the draw. Shuai Peng and Vera Dushevina could be possible threats to the two making a clash - luckily the two will eliminate one another by playing in the first round. However I think Wozniacki is a safer bet for the semis spot. Finally we have Na Li! and Chakvetadze making a scene but Laura Robson is the centre of attention here. She doesn't have too difficult a draw so hopefully she could at least get to the 2nd round. But I think Na Li should have enough to get to the semis here seeing Chakvetadze will probably succumb to Na Li when they clash.
Oh yeah forgot to say it's great to see doubles partners play each other (Medina Garrigues Vs Ruano Pascual) - it's just interesting. Also I love that Dulko is partnering Robson in the doubles!

No comments: