Sunday 2 November 2008

Year Ending Draw

Ok before I go on to women's draw I have to detour and congratulate Lewis Hamilton for winning in F1 (not the race but the title).
But now back to tennis. The Women's draw is the worst thing that could have happened!
Jelena/Ana/Svetlana/Vera
This gives perfect chance for Ana to get to the semis.
Dinara/Serena/Elena/Venus
This is a really difficult draw I think, Elena is technically on the back foot here but she could do some upsets.
All in all everything went not to plan. Now Venus really has to fight for her spot.
Let's now extimate what would happen for each match
Jelena Vs. Ana
Jelena has an overwhelming bad win loss record against her serbian compatriot however Ivanovic is not in great form, it seems very difficult to predict who will have the better form on the day as last year Jankovic did terribly here. On paper this should be a tough match but it all depends on whether the two are in form or not, however with Jankovic's new ranking I think she'll feel more confident against Ivanovic.

Jelena Vs. Svetlana
Funnily enough Jankovic has a losing record to Kuznetsova also, however Jankovic has been the victor every time they reach the final (both being only two set matches as well). It all depends on the form of Svetlana but I expect this to be a two set match with Jankovic as the victor.

Jelena Vs. Vera
Jankovic should be fine against Zvonareva, considering the Year Ending is on Hard Courts as Vera has only beaten Jankovic once of hard and that was way back in 2006.

Ana Vs. Svetlana
These two haven't played since Indian Wells and most can agree that Ivanovic was at a much better form at that point, however I think Ivanovic may have the upper hand against Svetlana though I'd be expecting a three setter here.

Ana Vs. Vera
The results between these two have always been easy, two setters never having reached a tie break. I'm expecting the same as Ivanovic recently beat Zvonareva 6-2,6-1.

Svetlana Vs. Vera
These two have not played since 2006! So really it seems very difficult to predict what would happen, I do think Svetlana may have the slight advantage.

Dinara/Serena/Elena/Venus

Dinara Vs. Serena
Personally I think Serena should be fine against Dinara on hard courts. I don't think Safina has the game to beat Serena on hard unless Serena succumbs to injury!

Dinara Vs. Elena
Twice they've played on Hard courts and both times Elena won in three sets. I'm kind of anticipating a very difficult tussle between the two, the thing is Elena's last victory against her was in the Olympics but for some reason I think Elena has extra vigour in the Olympics but never seems to have the same energy in the Year End.

Dinara Vs. Venus
There one tussle in Stuttgart isn't really enough to decide as Venus is never a predictable player.

Serena Vs. Elena
Serena has a winning record against Elena but if you discount anything before 2005 then Serena is on very thin ice as she hasn't beaten her since 2004. If we were to predict this match from the Olympics it wouldn't be too fair as I said I think Elena has that extra something in the Olympics. I'm expecting this to be a three sets (though it doesn't have to be tough).

Serena Vs. Venus
The pair have played against each other 17 times with Serena capping her latest victory in the US Open. It's very difficult to predict who will win on a Hard Court. It is definitely going to be a tough match but with Serena playing Venus I think Serena has the upper hand.

Elena Vs. Venus
This is probably one of the more difficult games to predict though I'd expect Venus to be on top even though the last time they played on Hard was in 2004! It depends on how the games are scheduled I think.

No comments: