Saturday 27 October 2007

Zurich Open

My Internet was down last week so I couldn't post but I'll make up for that by talking about the Zurich Open now.
Well who would have thought that in the finals we would see Tatiana Golovin pitted again against Justine Henin, I think everybody knew the outcome. Justine has just been so strong this year and she is as much a dominance as Federer is to the men's tour. Whenever you see her in a draw you'd expect the winner to be her and she has done that a lot this year, winning two Grand Slams thrashing the opponent in the final and nine titles including Zurich. However Justine did have to fend off a strong opponent, Nicole Vaidisova nearly took Justine by storm in taking her to a 3-6,6-3,7-5 score line, Congratulations to Nicole and I hope she does just as well in her next tournament. But who would have known that she could beat Jelena Jankovic right after such a long time not playing. One of the things I wasn't happy about though was that Maria Kirilenko lost in the first round but I guess she lost to eventual finalist however I have to say except for Ana Ivanovic Tatiana didn't have too many very difficult opponents. I am amazed however that so many seeds left so early and that Bartoli and Kuznetsova borh retired! Amazed that Ana lost in the second round also. But what surprised me the most was Serena Williams retiring from her match because I really wanted her to get to the finals and she could have I think as well. But there were so many retirements in the second half of the draw that Francesca Schiavone only played against Patty Schnyder to get to the Quatres. Also one thing to commisarate about is Amelie Mauresmo who looks in awful form and she'll probably retire after next year, it's such a shame after she found her best form in 2006 and we all thought that she would last at least for another year or so. However Congratulations to Justine for winning her 11th title this year!

No comments: